Election and Voting Information

The Town Clerk’s office is responsible for all elections held in the town.  (Federal, State & Local).  This is a year-long, on-going process.

If you would like to register to vote in Gorham, please come into the Clerk’s office and fill out a voter registration card.  It is important that you show I.D. that has your Gorham residence address on it.  Voter registration can take place anytime during our office hours.  You may also register to vote on Election Day itself but you must show an I.D. showing your Gorham residence address.  Proper I.D. could be a Maine Drivers License, car registration, utility bill or even an envelope that has gone through the mail to you at your Gorham address.  P.O. Box addresses cannot be accepted.

If you are a student at USM in Gorham, and you are registered in your home town, you can request an absentee ballot from that community.  If you want to register in Gorham you must have proof that you live on campus.  This could be a driver’s license or mail that you have received at your campus address.

Just before any election can be busy in our office, so we recommend you try to register to vote well before election day.  If you move within Gorham, let us know so we can keep our voter list up to date.  Your district and, therefore, your voting place may change.  Wouldn’t it be better to know this before election day?  If you have any questions about your voter status don’t hesitate to give us a call at any time.

Qualified Parties in Maine:

  1. Democrat
  2. Green Independent
  3. Libertarian
  4. Republican

Please note that the State of Maine does not have an Independent party.  If a voter chooses not to be enrolled in one of the above qualified parties, their status is considered "Unenrolled" not "Independent". 

Polling Places in Gorham:

Polling places open at 7:00 am and close at 8:00 pm.

If you have any questions, please call the Gorham Town Clerk's office at 222-1670.

Helpful Links:

Election Results & Documents: