Election & Voting Information

The Town Clerk’s office is responsible for all elections held in the Town (Federal, State and Local). This is a year-long, on-going process.

To participate in elections, you must be registered to vote.

Voters may also cast an absentee ballot instead of voting in-person. Casting an absentee ballot is secure and convenient. Residents can call 222-1670 or request one online at https://apps.web.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/AbsenteeBallot/index.pl.

  • Residents may also vote via an absentee ballot in-person in the Clerk's office during regular business hours and typically in the Council Chambers at the Gorham Municipal Center.
  • Ballots must be returned by 8pm on Election day, and can be returned in-person in the Clerk's Office, or via U.S. mail, or placed in the ballot drop box outside of the Gorham Municipal Center.

For more information regarding absentee voting, please visit https://www.gorham-me.org/town-clerk/pages/absentee-voting.

Voter Registration

Below are answers to frequently asked questions related to voting in Gorham. See additional Voter Registration information.

  • If you have not yet registered, please come into the Clerk’s office and fill out a voter registration card.
    • It is important that you show I.D. that has your Gorham residence address on it.
    • Voter registration can take place anytime during our office hours.
    • You may also register to vote on Election Day itself, but you must show an I.D. showing your Gorham residence address.
    • Proper I.D. could be a Maine Drivers License, car registration, utility bill or even an envelope that has gone through the mail to you at your Gorham address.
    • P.O. Box addresses cannot be accepted.
  • If you are a student at USM in Gorham, and you are registered in your home town, you can request an absentee ballot from that community.
    • If you want to register in Gorham you must have proof that you live on campus; this could be a driver’s license or mail that you have received at your campus address.

Just before any election can be busy in our office, so we recommend registering to vote well before Election Day.  If you move within Gorham, let us know so we can keep our voter list up to date.  Your district and therefore your voting place may change.  If you have any questions about your voter status, don’t hesitate to give us a call at any time.

Qualified Parties in Maine:

  1. Democrat
  2. Green Independent
  3. Libertarian
  4. Republican

Please note that the State of Maine does not have an Independent party.  If a voter chooses not to be enrolled in one of the above qualified parties, their status is considered "Unenrolled," not "Independent." 

Election Results & Documents:

To view election results by year, please click HERE.