Minimum Applicant Requirements:
- At least 21 years of age.
- Hold an Associates Degree or a combination of relevant training and experience is desirable.
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Have no extensive criminal history, including the following disqualifying criminal conduct or convictions, as prescribed as entrance standards by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy:
- Murder or any felony (Class A, B, C crime);
- The applicant also must not have any of the following additional disqualifying criminal convictions:
- Any Class D conviction (including OUI);
- Any Class E conviction or;
- Additional restrictions regarding personal conduct, criminal activity, drug and/or alcohol use may apply, consistent with Gorham Town ordinances.
- Suitable physical condition allowing successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy’s physical fitness entrance standards.
Application / Hiring Process:
- The Town of Gorham accepts applications for the position of police officer only when job openings are announced.
- Interested Applicants should obtain an Application Package and submit it with a cover letter, resume, copy of valid driver's license, and a copy of Alert Test score results to:
Deputy Chief Christopher Sanborn
270 Main Street
Gorham, ME 04038
- Upon successful Application Review, Applicants will be notified of the time and location of the Physical Fitness Evaluation Test. Prior to participating in the Physical Fitness Evaluation, all applicants must present a signed doctors waiver. Applicants must complete the Maine Criminal Justice Academy’s Physical Fitness Evaluation Test in order to proceed in the hiring process.
- Upon successful completion of the Physical Fitness Evaluation, Applicants will be given a date for an Oral Board Review. The Board will place applicants in numerical order.
- The Chief of Police may make a conditional job offer, contingent upon the applicant successfully passing a:
- Medical / Physical Examination
- Job Assessment / Psychological Examination
- Background Investigation / Polygraph Examination
- The successful applicant will be hired and sworn in as a Gorham Police Officer, with a one-year probationary status to begin upon successful completion of the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.