According to Maine's Taxation Law, the Assessor is legally required to issue the annual tax bill to the owner of record as of April 1st. If you sold your property on June 1st, the tax bill due in November and the second payment due the following May, must be in your name.
- April 1, 2015, you owned the property.
- June, 2015, you sold the property.
- August, 2015 the annual tax bill is “committed”.
- November, 2015 the first half payment is due.
- May, 2016 the second half payment is due.
Your name will appear on all the bills until the new bill is issued for November of 2016.
IMPORTANT: Please discuss the property tax bill at the closing - who is responsible for payment of the taxes and who you will forward the bill to when you receive it. Neither the Assessor nor Tax Collector is responsible for the proration of taxes between buyer and seller.