Skip Navigation
Town of Gorham Maine
This table is used for column layout.
  • Home
  • Hours & Directions
  • Town Departments
  • Elected Officials
  • Boards & Committees
  • Gorham Schools
  • Agendas & Minutes
  • Town Reports & Budget
  • Interactive GIS Maps
  • Codes & Ordinances
  • Career Opportunities
  • Phone Directory
  • Important Links
  • View Meetings & Programs

Click to go to the Gorham Video Streaming page
Click to view Live and Archived Video

Gorham ME Town Seal
Certificates, Licenses & Copies
How do I get a Marriage License?  Persons wishing to be married in the State of Maine must apply for a marriage license from the Town Clerk's Office.  Residents of the State of Maine intending to be married shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the Clerk of the Municipality in which at least one of them resides. If both parties reside outside Maine, they may file their intentions in any municipal office. Intention forms are open to the public. Once intentions have been properly filed, a marriage license may be issued immediately. The marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance, and the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State of Maine. For persons previously married, a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree or death certificate of the former spouse will be needed at the time the application is filed. The license fee is $40.00. Following the ceremony the license is permanently filed with the Town Clerk's office that issued the license and the State of Maine. Certified copies can be obtained for a fee of $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy. For a Marriage License Application please click here

How can I get a copy of a Vital Record? Vital records consist of birth, marriage and death records. The Clerk's office has on file the birth, marriage and death records of every Gorham resident back to 1892. Prior to 1892 these records were not required to be recorded, but we do have a lot of the original records. In 1892 a State law was passed mandating the filing of these records with the Town Clerk in the town where the event took place and with the Town Clerk of residence of each involved party.  For a certified copy of a birth, marriage or death record the cost is $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy purchased at the same time.  Records may be attained in person or by written request. ~Send us the name and date of the event, along with your check for the proper amount and a self addressed stamped envelop to: ~Town Clerk, 75 South Street, Suite 1 Gorham, Maine 04038. ~We will send the copy back by mail.

What else might I need a special License for? Depending on the circumstances, you may need to obtain a license for things like door to door solicitation, special amusement permit, mass gathering permit, etc.  For a list of Licenses and Permits that can be acquired from the Town Clerks Office please  click here

Gorham Municipal Center, 75 South Street, Suite 1, Gorham, ME 04038 | (207) 222-1670